Hotel and Lodging, How to Pay

Payment method

image of Bank of America purchasing card

The preferred method for prepaying for hotel and lodging expenses associated with University-related travel is to use a University-issued Purchasing Card (P-card). A Travel Reimbursement and Expense Report can also be submitted.

Refer to University Policy 601.8, Appropriate Use of University Funds, to confirm if this is a permissible use of funds for your area.

Rationale and other considerations

Hotel expenses (room, tax, and business-related internet service) are allowable on a P-card. If the employee is combining business and personal activities in the same trip, only the expense related to the business portion of the trip is allowable. Refer to the Travel Manual for additional information (link provided below).

Charlotte-area hotel/lodging may only be purchased for non-UNC Charlotte employees.

How to do it

  1. Complete a Travel Authorization form and obtain supervisor approval (additional special fund approval may be required, such as Grants & Contracts Administration or Treasury Services).
  2. Upon approval of the Travel Authorization form, the traveler or their designee may then pay for the lodging using a P-card. When using the P-card for travel expenses, follow the guidelines and processes identified in the Travel Manual (link provided below).


Email the Travel Office at

Last updated 12/22/2016; 7/10/2017

Last Updated: January 23, 2024