The Tax Office is a unit of the Controller’s Office that manages tax compliance, serves as a resource to the university community on tax issues, ensures timely and accurate filing of University tax returns, consults with departments on employee and independent contractor determinations, and develops necessary procedures and reporting systems to ensure compliance with tax laws and regulations. Tax Office staff advise international students and scholars on tax treaty benefits, tax withholding and reporting requirements, and provide guidance to departments regarding payments to vendors and employees from other countries.
Unrelated Business Income Tax (UBIT)
Unrelated business income is defined by the Internal Revenue Code as gross income from a trade or business that is regularly carried on by the organization and the conduct of the trade or business is not substantially related to the University’s tax-exempt functions.
Nonresident Alien Workshop
The Tax Office hosts a Nonresident Alien workshop semi-annually with Human Resources and the International Student/Scholar Office. This workshop typically takes place at the beginning of the calendar year and is hosted by Human Resources.
Tax Office Resources
- Foreign National Information Form – Non-Student Version
- Foreign National Information Form – Student Version
- Gross-up Calculation
- Independent Contractor Checklist (ICC) Form
- Tax Withholding Estimator
- UP 602.11 Appendix B – Reportable Gifts, Awards, & Prizes Form
- UP 602.11 Appendix C – Gifts, Awards, & Prizes Log Sheet
Manuals – Guides – Procedures
- Gift Cards/Gift Certificates, How to Pay
- Human Subject Payments, How to Pay
- Independent Contractors, How to Pay
- Nonresident Alien Tax Compliance Presentation
- Procedures for Other Payments to a Foreign National
- Procedures for Scholarship/Fellowship Payment to a Foreign National
- Sales and Use Tax Exemption Certificates
- Stipends, How to Pay
- UNC Charlotte Form W-9 – Request for Taxpayer Identification Number with Certification
- UNC Charlotte Income Tax Status