Manuals, Guides, and Procedures

Supplies and Equipment, How to Procure and Pay
49er Mart logo with white male niner wearing a hat with a pick axe slung over his right shoulder. At the bottom of the logo is the text, "Where Norm shops!"

Payment method:

The method for purchasing supplies and equipment is to use 49er Mart.

Rationale and other considerations:

Orders are processed online through a web browser depending on the type of supplier used. To begin, choose a supplier and proceed with selecting items and placing them in your virtual shopping cart. When you have finished shopping, your cart proceeds to the checkout and a requisition draft is created. At this point, enter the appropriate accounting codes (e.g., fund, account) to be used by your department for the order.

Placing the order prompts the workflow process to begin. Approvers are notified via email that an order is pending (the level of approvals depends upon the dollar amount and the type of purchase). The final approval generates a purchase order (PO).

To receive the order, you must log in to 49er Mart. Receiving initiates payment to the vendor.

Note: When purchasing used equipment, please refer to the Materials Management Purchasing Manual (link below) for additional guidance.

How to do it:

  1. Login to 49er Mart.
  2. Click on the logo of the supplier (e.g., Staples).
  3. If the vendor is a punch-out supplier, you will be directed to the vendor’s site to shop for your item(s).
  4. Add the desired item(s) to your cart and click “Checkout” when finished ordering.
  5. You will be directed back to the 49er Mart site to create your requisition.
  6. Review the details of your order, and click “Proceed to Checkout.”
  7. Select the appropriate accounting codes for your college/department.
  8. Perform a final review and click “Place Order.”
PoliciesProceduresForms / LinksTraining and Reference Materials

University Policy 601.11, Purchasing Policy

State of NC Purchase and Contract Division, Administrative Code

University Policy 601.8, Appropriate Use of University Funds

49er Mart Requester – Step-by-Step Guide

49er Mart Approver – Step-by-Step Guide

Materials Management Purchasing Manual

49er Mart Login


Banner Login

49er Mart Training in Canvas


49er Mart FAQs

Contact for additional questions:

Email the Purchasing Office at or refer to the list of Purchasing contacts.

Last Updated: September 14, 2018

Travel Manual

Purpose: Guidance for faculty/staff regarding payment for travel expenses incurred for UNC Charlotte business purposes.

Contact Email:

Last Updated: February 1, 2024

UNC Charlotte Form W-9 – Request for Taxpayer Identification Number with Certification

Purpose: This form is used to provide vendors with UNC Charlotte’s taxpayer identification number.

Last Updated: January 4, 2024

UNC Charlotte Income Tax Status

Letter stating contributions to UNC Charlotte are tax deductible as a 501c3

Last Updated: November 13, 2014

UNC Charlotte Marriott Hotel & Conference Center Information

Marriott Hotels logo

Hotel location and information

UNC Charlotte Marriott Hotel & Conference Center (Hotel) is located close to campus and offers many ways to partner with the University. Situated on approximately four-acres near the PORTAL Building, the Hotel is located at 9041 Robert D Snyder Road, Charlotte, NC 28262 and offers direct access to the LYNX Blue Line. For more information, call 704-978-8000 or visit

Did you know that UNC Charlotte Marriott Hotel & Conference Center has…

  • 226 guest rooms
  • 5 suites including the 1,700 square foot Chancellor suite – the only room with an outdoor terrace
  • Curated art program created by UNC Charlotte faculty, alumni and students
  • More than 20,000 square feet of function space
  • Largest space: 7,000 square foot Crown Room that can hold as many as 800 people (when at 100% capacity) for a stand-up reception
  • More than 6,000 square feet of designed outdoor function space – the outdoor plaza has views of the UNC Charlotte campus
  • All function space located on one level
  • A full service restaurant, Golden Owl Tavern

To learn more about the Hotel visit the Inside UNC Charlotte website.

How to book your next campus event

If a campus department desires to hold an event at the Hotel, the department contact should first consult with their department head or another appropriate manager to confirm approval and fund availability. Click on the summarized flowchart below for the complete procedures departments should use for scheduling campus events at the Hotel.

Click the image below to enlarge:

UNC Charlotte Marriott Hotel & Conference Center flowchart to schedule campus events

How to reserve a hotel room

  1. Reserve a Standard guest room on at the UNC Charlotte Business Rate by following the Hotel’s reservation procedures and hotel policies. Note that this rate only applies to individual travel for University guests traveling on University business.
  2. Email the completed information form to the Hotel via
  3. If applicable, complete the third-party authorization form for purchasing card (p-card) on file (this will be emailed separately).

Last Updated: June 30, 2023

UNC Charlotte Moving Expense Procedures

Moving expenses for new hires at UNC Charlotte can either be reimbursed using State funds or provided via an allowance using Discretionary funds. All moving support from the university is fully taxable to employees. Approval of the administrative head of the employing department is required prior to making commitments to pay moving and relocation expenses. Additional approvals may be required depending on the fund source, as described in these procedures.


The University may pay an employee’s moving expenses when (1) Moving reimbursement or allowances are available for full-time, permanent positions, and (2) eligible employees will be moving from outside a 100-mile radius of the Greater Charlotte area. 

The employee’s move must be completed within the first year of employment. Exceptions require pre-approval, in writing, from the listed responsible individual (Senior Associate Provost for Faculty and the Executive Director of HR for Staff) before offering moving expense reimbursements or allowances to the prospective employee.

Funding Sources

The University offers two types of funds for employee moving expenses: 1) Moving reimbursements, covered by State funds, or 2) Moving allowances, covered by Discretionary funds. Only one of these two fund types may be used to pay for moving expenses for a single employee for either a reimbursement or allowance.

Typical “Moving-related expenses” covered via a moving reimbursement are outlined in detail in the North Carolina Office of State Budget and Management (OSBM) Budget Manual Sections 6.8 and 6.9 and include but are not limited to:

  • Payment for movement of household and personal goods includes items such as furniture, clothing, and personal effects.
  • Travel expenses incurred in moving the employee and his or her family from the old residence to the new residence are as follows:
    • For locating a new residence, three (3) round trips, not exceeding six (6) days and three (3) nights, are required.
    • For the day of moving – subsistence, lodging and mileage

The employee is required to submit a pre-approval request to use state funds, which requires the Chancellor’s approval. The moving reimbursement will require out-of-pocket expenses for the employee and will likely take more than one month to process.

Typical “Moving-related expenses” covered via a Moving Allowance include, but are not limited to, house hunting, moving truck rentals, hiring moving companies, shipping costs for household items and related supplies, storage costs before or during the move, shipping costs for household pets, mileage incurred during the move, and other move-related costs such as connecting/disconnecting utilities and temporary living arrangements.

  • Typically, no supporting documentation or receipts are needed.
  • However, when the allowance request is for $10,000 or more, receipts must be submitted and maintained, and the allowance will only cover the actual moving-related expenses supported by receipts.

Payment for all moving-related expenses is the responsibility of the employee.

The moving expense reimbursement or allowance will be paid as a taxable lump sum payment and is intended to offset some of the employee’s moving-related costs at the hiring department’s discretion. 

Departments may opt to cover applicable taxes for employees via a gross-up. Discretionary funds must be used for the gross-up portion of a reimbursement or allowance, regardless of the fund type used to cover moving expenses.

The Moving Expense Reimbursement and Allowance Forms are the only approved method for paying a moving reimbursement/allowance to an employee. Moving-related expenses cannot be paid directly to an employee or a vendor via p-card, 49er Mart, or Employee & Student Direct Pay Request (ESDPR).

Allowable Amounts

Departments can submit a total request up to the following amounts:

Standard Allowance Levels Table
  1. Moving expense support is not considered “special pay subject to the “3/9ths” rule for 9-month faculty.
  2. Academic Affairs Budget provides the funding for faculty moving expenses for all colleges/departments except for the Belk College of Business (BCOB) and The Williams States Lee College of Engineering (COEN).
  3. Funding for staff moving expenses is contingent upon the availability of departmental funds. Note that while HR (Human Resources) approves moving expense reimbursements/allowances for staff they do not provide any central source of funding.
  4. For exceptions, include the following required information: Candidate’s Name; Rank and/or Title; Any additional working title (e.g., Distinguished Scholar); Department/College; Standard Amount of Moving Support for rank; Requested Exception Amount; Reason exception is needed.

Discontinuation of Employment

Employees that leave University employment prior to 90 days must reimburse the University 100% of any allowance received (gross, not net of taxes). Should an employee voluntarily leave University employment within one year of hire for a position other than a promotion within North Carolina state government, they may be required to reimburse the University for a prorated portion of the allowance. The employee should work with the hiring department to determine the amount to be repaid. No tax withholding or reporting adjustments will be made by the Payroll Office. Repayment should be made directly to the department outside of the payroll system.

  1. If using State funds, your department or college’s business support staff should complete a Pre-approval Request Form (download it before completing it).
    • You can share this instruction guide with new employees that walks them through the information that is needed for the pre-approval and reimbursement.
    • Attachments should be uploaded as PDFs. Do not upload attachments as zip files.
  2. New employees should NOT complete this form for themselves. The form and attachments follow an automated workflow for designated approvers, as detailed in the flowchart below:

Click the image below to enlarge:

Moving expense reimbursement and allowance to faculty and staff flowchart


Moving Expense Reimbursement Forms

Other resources

Responsible Office: Controller’s Office


Created 2/18

Last Updated: May 1, 2024

University’s Cash Management Plan

North Carolina law, Chapter 147-86.10 of the General Statutes, requires that “all agencies, institutions, departments, bureaus, boards, commissions and officers of the State…shall devise techniques and procedures for the receipt, deposit, and disbursement of monies coming into their control and custody which are designed to maximize the interest-bearing investment of cash and to minimize idle and nonproductive cash balances.”

The University Controller has responsibility for developing and administering the Cash Management Plan in compliance with the Statewide Cash Management Plan, North Carolina General Statutes, and the State Treasurer. This Plan is maintained in the University Controller’s office for auditor review. The Internal Audit Office will periodically review cash management activities to ensure compliance with University policies and procedures. The State Auditor will annually determine if the University is in compliance with the Statewide Cash Management Plan.

The University’s Cash Management Plan most recently approved by the Office of State Controller (OSC) can be found above.

Last Updated: March 25, 2024